The Garden at MacMillan House
We started this Garden on May 15 by moving a few plants that were in the current location, added 10 cubic yards of fresh hot chicken Manure (thank you Brian Whitta for the contribution and delivery) on top of the site, leveled it and put dardboard on top to keep down the smell, hold in the heat, and cook the area in preparation for planting. We topped this with several inches of compost and EM (effective microorganisms) and watered it all to activate it.
This smelled somewhat like WW1 for two weeks and we promise that it's better now!
We planted in early June and the results are good. We've had to water twice now this summer (drought conditions) for about 5 hours in total.
The summer garden has Tomatoes, Pumpkins, & Kale.
We also planted cover crops like buckwheat on the other side of the path. These will fix the soil somewhat and prepare it for winter plantings of chard, onions, collards and broccoli.
CLOSED FOR THE SEASON
Church rentals and archival services are still available so please call us at 250 248 6966.
Become a Member!
Help us protect our community's history!
- Parksville Museum Newsletter-keep abreast of all events
- One free 2 hour rental of our meeting room
- 10% discount in the Museum Gift Shop (some exceptions will apply)
- VIP Access and discounts on special events and the Urban Farm School
- Unlimited entrance into Parksville Museum