Summer Museum Assistant position!
The Parksville & District Historical Society is seeking three energetic, conscientious individuals to provide assistance to the Executive Director and Operations Manager. This is a full-time seasonal position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Candidates in this position should have strong interpersonal skills and be comfortable working with the general public. Experience in retail operations and customer service will be an asset. Any experience in construction and interest in heritage structures will be beneficial but not essential. A basic understanding of marketing principles and social media will also be an advantage. Candidates who show a desire to pursue a career path in Heritage Resource Management will be given preference. Competency with Windows operating systems, and Microsoft Office would be beneficial. We provide flexible schedules but the ability to work Friday evenings is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability and willingness to work with all age groups.
- Ability to interact well with the public.
- Good team player.
- Skilled communicator.
- Basic knowledge of Canadian and BC History.
- Willingness to take on new tasks.
- Ability to work independently when required.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to new computer programs.
- Initiative to identify tasks that need doing.
Training will be provided. Basic Tasks and Responsibilities will include:
- Cataloging artifacts.
- Maintaining museum collections database.
- Assisting in exhibit design and implementation.
- Archival research.
- Cash handling.
- Basic graphic design or desktop publishing.
- Managing social media accounts.
- Resourcing public programs from conception to delivery.
- Helping with facilities maintenance; cleaning and some minor landscaping.
- Assisting the Market Manager in running our weekly Farmers' Market.
Terms of Employment:
These positions are funded by Government of Canada youth employment funding and subject to hiring restrictions imposed by these programs. The positions are open only to applicants between the ages of 15 and 30 who attended school full time last year and intend to return to full time school in the following semester. Applicants must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
Work Week: 37.5 hours per week, 5 days a week. (7.5 hours/day; including shift work)
Start Date: May 8, 2017 End Date: August 18, 2016
Salary: $12.00 per hour plus vacation pay.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying "Museums Assistant Position" and your name in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until April 30, 2017
CLOSED FOR THE SEASON
Church rentals and archival services are still available so please call us at 250 248 6966.
Become a Member!
Help us protect our community's history!
- Parksville Museum Newsletter-keep abreast of all events
- One free 2 hour rental of our meeting room
- 10% discount in the Museum Gift Shop (some exceptions will apply)
- VIP Access and discounts on special events and the Urban Farm School
- Unlimited entrance into Parksville Museum