The school house was originally built as a surveyor's cabin in 1907. It was located at Craig's Crossing during the extension of the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Railway (E&N) by the Canadian Pacific Railway to McBride Junction. In 1909 the engineer moved away and the cabin was empty. In 1912 the building was moved by James Craig onto his farm to serve as a school for his children and local children between Craig's Crossing and Nanoose Bay.
Montrose School was forced to close in 1920 as enrolment was too low to keep it open. Afterwards the building was used for farm storage and dwelling for local families. The building was moved to Craig's Heritage Park (Parksville Museum) in 1985.
Currently the exhibits in the building depicts school life of the early 1900's including some of the original desks. Other exhibits include rocks, fossils and learning aids.
When visiting the museum compare the current building with the historical picture and note the changes over time.
The burr and windy season operational hours are now in effect.
Buildings open by appointment only and during special events and workshops. This may change in the near future to open one day a week and special events and workshops. Grounds are always open even if gate closed.
Please expect delays in responding to emails and phone messages.
Have a good day,
An Old Fashioned Christmas
Sunday December 2nd
1PM - 5PM
Model Trains, Music, Crafts, Storytelling, Cookies, Hot Chocolate, Hot Dogs
Oh yes! Pictures with Santa
We look forward to seeing children, parents, grandparents - Everyone come enjoy Sunday afternoon at the Museum